The history of the Munich-based Real Estate Group - Tradition and growth
It needs the driving force of a visionary to establish a family-owned business. Pöttinger is such a business, born from the passion of Sebastian Pöttinger, who in 1937 combined diligence, energy and a readiness to assume well-dosed risks to establish an operation for civil engineering and landscaping. In the early years, no more than 3 to 4 people were employed to produce concrete pipes, posts and leach pits. Meanwhile, the small operation has grown to a group of companies covering every aspect of real estate.
The subsequent generations – initially the sons and brothers Werner and Ludwig Pöttinger, today Ludwig Pöttinger and his son Philipp – made substantial contributions to the growing success. So the third generation takes as much pleasure in building as the first one: “It is up to us to help enhancing the cityscape and to provide buildings with a specific signature. Even in 20 years time, I will recognize our building structures – this is a source of pride and a stimulus at the same time“, said Philipp S. Pöttinger.
Sebastian Pöttinger, born February 7, 1909 in Höhenkirchen near Munich, was an apprentice in his father’s carpenter’s shop. After a few years of orientation when he also worked as a carpentry foreman, he was awarded the title of master craftsman in carpentry on July 8, 1937.
As early as May 1, 1937, Sebastian Pöttinger had an iron concrete plant and a building materials trade company registered at Ottobrunn, and following his successful master tradesman examination in masonry on July 5, 1938, he paved the way for the future company history.
The foundation stone of the future Pöttinger Real Estate Group was laid.
The photograph shows the storage yard in Ottobrunn. On the right, Therese Pöttinger, wife of Sebastian Pöttinger, who supported the company in its early years in the commercial department.
After WW II the young company started growing constantly. The wounds which the war had inflicted on the cityscape presented a major challenge. With its small team of devoted employees, the company made active contributions to the reconstruction of the city by repairing damage to the City Hall and the Pharmacological Clinic.
Increasingly large orders followed, such as the registrar’s office in Rottmannstrasse, the Lehrbichl estate in Grünwald or Hall 4 on the old Munich exhibition site. As the construction industry boomed, the number of employees grew to 300.
The extent of the projects continuously increases. In 1954, for example, the catholic church “Zu den Heiligen Engeln“ was built in the Munich district of Obergiesing. The sophisticated roofing required a lot of expertise and craftsmanship.
Werner Pöttinger joins the family business. A long-time board member of the Construction Guild of Munich [Bauinnung München], he applied his vast experience and expertise to the benefit of the association and made valuable contributions to promote cooperative relationships between employers and unions. Werner Pöttinger died on July 24, 1986 at the age of 42.
The high order volume and the increasing requirements as regards construction time and quality resulted in the decision to establish a plant for precast concrete elements in 1969. Thus the Pöttinger Bauunternehmung was ideally equipped for meeting the challenges arising from the structural changes in the State Capital of Munich – especially in conjunction with the Olympic Games of 1972.
Pöttinger celebrated in the Löwenbräu festival hall at the 1971 Oktoberfest.
The Olympic Games of 1972 provoked a building boom of unprecedented dimensions in the City of Munich. Apart from sports arenas, accommodations had to be built for the athletes, their coaches, officials, reporters and visitors from all over the world.
At those times, the area of the future Olympic Village and the neighboring sports facilities was the biggest construction site in Europe. The Pöttinger Bauunternehmung built not only the then tallest building in Munich, the G2 in the Olympic Village, but also the wrestlers’ arena in the Munich district of Schwanthalerhöhe.
After studying business administration, Ludwig Pöttinger joined the family business, where he became Managing Director in 1973.
In 1975, the eight-story main building of the Munich Tax Office at Marsstraße was completed.
In the mid-1980s, a large number of freehold flats were built in Steinmetzstrasse in the Obersendling district of Munich in collaboration with Baywobau Bauträger GmbH & Co. Hausbau KG.
An office and commercial complex – the Octogon – was built in Ismaning and is today let by Pöttinger GmbH & Co. Verwaltungs-KG. The modernised offices of the Octogon are let on the principle of Flex-Office-Rent. It is ideal for freelancers and start-up entrepreneurs, for businesses seeking a temporary presence in the regional capital of Munich or which have a short-term need for additional conference rooms and offices. Flex-Office-Rent is the fast, convenient and reliable way to rent business, office and production premises.
In the 1990s, the Pöttinger Real Estate Group also expanded its construction activities in Berlin and Potsdam. Hotel Spreebogen and the shell of the administrative building in Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee were built in 1994 in the Berlin locality of Moabit.
Building shell construction in Voltastrasse in Berlin’s district Wedding. An administrative building is constructed to house the broadcasting centre of public broadcaster Deutsche Welle.
In Berlin it is called the “Federal Serpent“ [Bundesschlange]. The curvy building complex designed by architect Georg Bumiller is 500 meters long and accommodates 437 apartments. It was constructed from 1997 through 1999. Initially, the exclusive apartments were intended to be used by members of the German Parliament and their assistants. Today, these 2 to 3 room apartments are also offered on the private housing market.
1997 - 1999
A residential complex was built in the Mühlbach district of Augsburg in 2000.
Parkstadt Schwabing is a completely new urban quarter springing up in the north of Munich. Here, the Pöttinger Real Estate Group developed and marketed a residential complex with underground car park.
In 2002, the Germaniahafen in Kiel was completed. 114 turnkey residential and commercial units were handed over to the private promoter.
In 2004, the Arbeitsgemeinschaft A. Prien GmbH & Co. KG in collaboration with the S. Pöttinger GmbH & Co. KG Bauunternehmung constructed the Beisheimcenter in Berlin-Tiergarten. The ten-story BC 3 has a floor space of 10,000 m², whereas the BC 4 offers 36 apartments including hotel and doorman services.
Having spent ten years in the metropolises of London, Berlin and New York City, Philipp S. Pöttinger returned to Ottobrunn in 2005 to assume responsibilities in the family business after completing his Master of Science in Real Estate Development at Columbia University in New York City, USA.
The “Trier Galerie” was built as part of a collaboration project between the Pöttinger Bauunternehmung and the BSS GmbH, Berlin. The three-story shopping mall provides about 20,000 square meters of retail space and accommodates 75 individual retail stores. Sensitively embedded into the small-scale structure of the city center with its gothic style elements, architectural monuments and post-war buildings, the elegant and functional facade blends in harmoniously with the surroundings. This pleasant effect is not least a result of the use of a perfect blend of colors and materials. Consequently, the City of Trier can now boast of a sophisticated shopping retreat located in its historic city center.
On a building site of around 15,400 square meters in Düsseldorf, the new main office building of E-Plus was constructed according to plans drawn up by the Berlin based architectural firm nps tchoban voss. The modern architecture offers 34,000 square meters of total floor area, 30,000 square meters of which are rentable areas providing room for more than 1,000 office workplaces. The building complex also includes a parking garage for employees and guests of the E-Plus Group.
On two properties in Munich Pasing, Irmonherstr. 9 and 11, a modern residential building complex with 36 apartments and underground parking was constructed. The new complex consists of two apartment blocks with contiguous basements, underground parking and 4 upper stories. Each apartment includes a terrace, a balcony or a rooftop terrace. Thought has also been given to the kids – a playground was created midway between the two buildings.
At an excellent location right in the historic heart of Munich, a premium quality and architecturally attractive office and commercial building was constructed. The exterior of the building based on a design by the Berlin Staab Architekten is in keeping with the surrounding historic facades in the center of Munich and incorporates them on three sides of its structured facade in the form of concrete ornamentations. Thus the new building perfectly integrates into the historic urban setting near Oberanger – an example of modern architectural design without romanticizing history.
Kontorhaus Munich: a new office building housing the Google development center was built as part of the urban construction project of Arnulfpark. The Kontorhaus, located in the south of the project, is a particular eye-catcher for all train passengers coming to or leaving Munich main station. In accordance with the corporate philosophy of the Silicon Valley, Google – the main tenant – had decided that apart from office spaces generous recreational areas, a large cafeteria and even a gym including open air sports facilities should be created. Particularly striking are the white round arches which provide a good view into the individually designed inner courtyards. The Pöttinger Construction Company was responsible for the building shell and part of the interior design.
In Oberhaching, the Classic Car Center – a parking garage for premium vintage cars – was delivered turnkey. The attractive modern façade surrounds 21 separate “collectors’ garages” for individual use. Especially interesting for enthusiasts and owners of historic cars: the center provides a special workshop for vintage cars which, upon request, handles maintenance, care, refurbishing and repair work and takes on race preparation activities for the vehicles.
On the occasion of the 80th anniversary, the presentation of the company's history was updated and expanded with new projects. The 440-page company chronicle was printed this time on a high quality uncoated natural paper. The book cover is white, with noble gray embossing on title, back and spine. PDF download (66 MB, German)
Matthias Reinhard becomes managing director of S. Pöttinger Bauunternehmung.
In 2017, Pöttinger Projektentwicklung completed two major construction projects with terraced and semi-detached houses as well as apartment buildings with condominiums: the kugler26 residential complex in Grasbrunn and the Im Hirschwinkel residential complex in Höhenkirchen-Siegertsbrunn.
With TRUDI160 - condominiums in Berg am Laim - a new residential complex with 69 condominiums is being built in 2018: The five residential buildings enclose a generous park-like inner courtyard with partly wonderful old trees.
The trustful cooperation with Rathgeber AG in the Meiller Gärten development area in Munich-Moosach enters its 3rd round. After the work on construction sites 06 and 07, S. Pöttinger Bauunternehmung was commissioned with the general contractor work for the boarding house on construction site 04.
The Pöttinger Real Estate Group has acquired special expertise in the construction of boarding houses and has completed almost 1000 rooms to date. Photo Boardinghouse Dornach